Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Inspiration of Tokidoki

Toki who? Trust me, you know it. tokidoki is the riduculously popular, Japanese inspired pop art of Italian designer and illustrator Simone Legno that is EVERYWHERE - apparel, bags, footwear, toys, gadgets, skateboards, you name it.

I'm currently coveting his
Adios Flash Polo for my wee one (see left). LOVE.

Legno may be best known for his major brands - think tokidoki Hello Kitty, tokidoki Marvel characters, and tokidoki Black Eyed Peas. His newest collaboration is a new makeup and accessories line for Sephora. I'm not sure what a skater Roman boy knows about makeup palettes, but I'm going to be first in line for the super rad
makeup bags... which he'll be personally promoting and autographing on May 20th at the Powell St Sephora in San Francisco).

As a designer, I always love to hear about other artist's inspiration and creation process. I recently discovered an in-depth look at tokidoki's inspiration on one of my favorite training websites, Lynda.com.

For full access to the videos, you need to be a subscriber (which, at $25 month for literally of hundreds of video master classes, is a steal). But you can watch the intro to Simone Legno and watch him sketch here.

No comments:

Post a Comment